We serve a variety of egg-based dishes, some of which, like today's recipe, are quiches. This quiche makes a very full pie plate, and is very tasty, creamy and rich!
Three-Cheese, Leek and Ham Quiche
- 1 pie crust for 9-inch pie (can be homemade or from 15 oz refrigerated package, not a pre-shaped frozen pie crust)
- 3/4 lb. leeks (about 3 medium; white and pale green parts only)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 lb. thinly sliced ham or good smoked bacon
- 3 oz. Gruyere (or other Swiss) cheese, coarsely grated (1 cup)
- 3 oz. Jack or Italian Fontina cheese, coarsely grated (1 cup)
- 3 oz. whole-milk mozzarella, coarsely grated (1 cup)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 3/4 cups whipping cream
- Pre-bake pie dough in pie plate according to package instructions, remove from oven and reduce temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Meanwhile halve leeks lengthwise and cut into 1/2 inch pieces, then wash well in a bowl of cold water, agitating leeks. Lift out and drain leeks in colander and pat dry. Melt butter in 10-inch heavy skillet over moderately low heat and cook leeks, stirring occasionally, until very tender (8-10 minutes)
- Line warm pie shell with sliced ham or bacon, overlapping layers as necessary to cover bottom and side of pie shell complettely. Toss cheeses together and sprinkle evenly into pie shell (do not pack cheese), then spread leeks evenly on top of cheese.
- Whisk together eggs, nutmeg and pepper until combined well, then whisk in whipping cream until smooth
- Carefully pour half of custard on top of pie filling, gently moving cheese with a spoon to help custard disperse evenly. Slowly add remaining custard in same manner. Cover pie loosely with foil, gently folding edges over crust (keep foil from touching top of cheese mixture) and transfer to a baking sheet
- Bake until center of filling is puffed and set (center will be slightly wobbly, but not liquid), about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. Cool on a rack at least 20 - 30 minutes before serving (filling will continue to set as it cools). Serve warm or at room temperature.
This quiche can be made 3 days ahead and cooled completely, uncovered, then chilled, wrapped in plastic wrap. Reheat quiche (uncovered) in a 350 degrees F oven until warmed through, about 15 minutes.
Makes 8 servings